Friday, March 18, 2011

The word "Deserve"

I don't think this word needs to be part of our vocabulary. Point blank. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me deserve means something like if you do this, you get that. In my head it's similar to "entitled" which I also dispise. I just am not sure when people use words like these what they think it means. Just because you did something good does not mean you deserve good things. Or maybe it may mean you deserve them but it doesn't mean that it will happen. I think maybe in the larger sense of the world this thought makes sense. If you commit a severe crime, you deserve time in jail. But most situations are hardly that black and white.

Maybe I don't dislike this word, but I dislike the way people use it.

Let's take a look at the dictionary:
1. to merit, be qualified for, or have a claim to (reward, assistance, punishment, etc.) because of actions, qualities, or situation: to deserve exile; to deserve charity; a theory that deserves consideration.
2. to be worthy of, qualified for, or have a claim to reward, punishment, recompense, etc.: to reward him as he deserves; an idea deserving of study.


Ok so to earn something as a reward. I get that- especially when you're a child. But my problem is that although it makes sense that if your son cleans his room he deserves a piece of candy to encourage him to clean his room, as an adult, no one gives me candy for cleaning anything.

To be qualified for-- ok so I'm qualified for a job, more qualified than you. I have more experience than you, I have a better track record than you, etc. Maybe if they hire you instead of me they can pay you less, so you get hired. Hey! I deserved that job. I was qualified for it. Too freaking bad.

I guess it's an accurate word, I did deserve the job. Your son did deserve the candy. Sometimes it just doesn't matter what you deserve.

Random rant, I know. I just heard it this morning and it hits a nerve with me almost every time.

No comments: