Saturday, September 20, 2014

I was a really good mom this week.

Mom friends do you ever say this to yourself? It's funny to even type. On the heals of an article my friend posted, I have been thinking a lot about how I talk to myself as a mom. I truly thought that even though motherhood would be stressful and difficult, I would be made for this job. I haven't actually felt that to be true in the way I imagined. 

I've been trying to really use some positive self talk to get myself in a more positive place. "I was a really great mom this week." It was a tough week because Nick was away for 4 days and that always stresses me out and makes me nervous. Lucky it was just 4 days. We had a lot of tears and whines, and the little man's teeth are raising H-E- double hockey sticks, but I was there to comfort him, snuggle him, bounce him, and when it was necessary, give him tylenol. We also had a lot of smiles, some awesome giggly-giggles, fun at bath time, we enjoyed a little gym class, went to the children's museum, practiced standing and sitting up, sang our ABCs, and even got some big smiles at the dreaded tummy time. 



Those of you who are mommies, do you feel good at your job? Will that ever be true? Did you have to manage your expectations with reality? This is what I'm working with right now. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stacey, I really relate to your feelings, and remember similar emotions when a new mom myself. I think we grow up developing expectations about what our lives should be like... the perfect job, the perfect friend, the perfect marriage, the perfect house, the perfect child, being a perfect mom. But reality rarely reflects the ideal. Instead, as you've already learned to an extent, it's good to face the world and the people in it with fewer expectations and just experience life as it comes. Parts of it we like, even love, and others we may not, but we grow from all of it. We learn we are good at some things, better at others, and others not so much. That's okay... we are human. Our children love us despite our flaws, and we love them despite theirs. Spouses, with enough effort & luck, the same. Again, we are all human, and imperfect humans at that. At the end of the day, that's what makes life interesting, the stories entertaining, the obstacles worth overcoming, and the memories worth remembering. Love you! --Jan