Wednesday, December 21, 2011

In the Spirit of the New Year

I have seen this article pop up in a couple places and today I took a second to read it. Some of the suggestions don't apply as much to me, but several did. It may be a worthwhile read for ya :) Here are my thoughts:

2. Stop running from your problems. – Face them head on. No, it won’t be easy. There is no person in the world capable of flawlessly handling every punch thrown at them. We aren’t supposed to be able to instantly solve problems. That’s not how we’re made. In fact, we’re made to get upset, sad, hurt, stumble and fall. Because that’s the whole purpose of living – to face problems, learn, adapt, and solve them over the course of time. This is what ultimately molds us into the person we become.
How difficult is that?! I sat here thinking about little problems that I seem to run from and how I could face them. It's downright scary to think about, but I'm sure I'd feel so strong within if I was able to do this.

9. Stop trying to buy happiness. – Many of the things we desire are expensive. But the truth is, the things that really satisfy us are totally free – love, laughter and working on our passions.
This one is rough for me, and I know it makes me sound superficial, eek. It's just hard to not purchase new shoes or a new necklace and get that rush of happiness. That rush fades; I guess that's what they mean.

20. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others. – Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it anyway. Just do what you know in your heart is right.
I find this difficult. I'm a talker, talk talk talk... explain what I was thinking over and over so no one judges me. Sigh. Good one to try!

30. Stop being ungrateful. – No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs. Instead of thinking about what you’re missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.
There is always room to be more grateful.

Enjoy the article. (if you missed it up there- click here!) I even book marked the blog incase I want to go back and check :) Hope you are all enjoying your holiday season!

2 comments:

MandyMy said...

Great article! I have trouble with a bunch of these, but I have to keep reminding myself it's only normal! Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a blessed holiday, and a relaxing week+ until your wedding!! Love you girl! :)

Autumn said...

it's so crazy how alike we are... i have been reading through your blog a lot lately and although our circumstances were a bit different.... i think we have so much in common.
when john passed away (my fiance as well) i got a dog to help me cope and her name is lily! (named after the lake where he proposed).
also, because of my stress i suffer from HORRIBLE acid reflux and inflammation in my stomach (yum) and so i can totally relate there!
i am currently dating someone... and wanted to extend a congrats to you on your engagement! how does it feel? we must have the strongest men on the planet!!! lol. just wanted to say "hi" and keep going strong, girl. you are an inspiration :)