Thursday, May 24, 2012

Remember.



I'd like to think I do a post about this every year, but at the very least I can remember doing one on the memorial day after Mike was killed. What's the meaning? Where did it come from? My history-buff and West Point educated husband is probably a wealth of information on exactly where it comes from, but I don't know quite as much. I had read it was originally Decoration Day and is a day to remember those who have died in service to our nation. I've been reading up the last few days and if you're interested, feel free to click on any of the collection of links below. 


USMemorialDay.org told me: To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to Taps." (p.s. How hard is it to listen to Taps!?!)


Written during World War I, In Flander's Field  is a poem often referenced on Memorial Day. 


What's going on this Memorial Day 2012 in DC?


* My thoughts and prayers are with the many, many women I know who have personally felt the meaning of Memorial Day in the loss of their spouse. As always, I am so thankful that there is an organization out there to connect us all--the American Widow Project!

No comments: